• Nighttime driving restrictions
o Sunday through Thursday – 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
o Friday and Saturday – 11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
• Number of passengers is limited to one in the front seat and the number of safety belts in the back seat
• Graduated driver is responsible for ensuring that all passengers under the age of 19 are properly restrained with safety belts or child restraint system
• For the first 12 months of licensing, or until the driver turns 18, whichever occurs first, the number of passengers is limited to one person under the age of 20, unless the passenger(s) is a sibling, stepsibling, child, or stepchild of the driver.
• It is an offense for a person aged 15 to19 to be a passenger in a vehicle that is being operated by a graduated driver for the first 12 months of licensing, or until the driver turns 18, whichever occurs first, if another passenger under the age of 20 is present, excluding a sibling, stepsibling, child, or stepchild of the driver
• Cell phone use while driving is prohibited, except in the case of an emergency to contact a law enforcement agency, health care provider, or emergency services agency
• Texting while driving is prohibited
• For further information see the provisions of the Illinois Vehicle Code listed by following this link or the Illinois Secretary of State listed by following this link.