Dixon Government News Dixon Police Officer Involved Shooting: Suspect Armed with a Knife Shot by Dixon Police

Dixon Police Officer Involved Shooting: Suspect Armed with a Knife Shot by Dixon Police

Dixon Police Officers were called to 805 West 3rd Street at 11:34 a.m. this morning for a report of a hostage situation.  A female called 911 and reported a male subject had his girlfriend held hostage at knife point.  Officers arrived on scene by 11:36 a.m. and found a male subject standing on the front porch of the residence armed with a knife.  Officers attempted to de-escalate the situation, but the male was extremely upset.

7 Dixon Police Officers were on scene at the time of the shooting.  While officers were trying to de-escalate the situation, a different male walked out of the residence onto the porch.  The suspect armed with the knife attacked the male and stabbed him in the stomach.  Officers tried to use Taser but it was not successful.  Two Dixon Police Officers fired their handguns.  The suspect was shot in the abdomen, in the leg, and in the wrist. 

Both the suspect and the victim were transported to KSB.  The suspect was flown to a Rockford Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.  The victim also sustained non-life threatening injuries. 

An independent investigation of the officer involved shooting is being conducted by the Illinois State Police.  The Illinois State Police are also investigating the hostage situation and the stabbing.  Once the investigations are completed, they will be forwarded to the State’s Attorney for review. 

Chief Langloss released this statement, “Officers go their entire career hoping to never use their firearm, but there are some situations where they are left with no choice.  This is one of those situations.  Today, our police officers showed incredible bravery in the face of danger, and because of their actions, they saved the life of an innocent person.”  Chief Langloss added, “I have asked the Illinois State Police to conduct a thorough, independent investigation of the use of force.  All indications from witnesses and video evidence are that the officers acted appropriately and within the law.  I am very proud of our police officers and we are glad that the suspect will be ok.”   

Chief Langloss declined to release the names of the police officers or the suspect, as family members have not been notified.  Chief Langloss added, “The investigation is ongoing as we speak.  We will coordinate with the Illinois State Police to release further details as they become available.  I am trying to balance the community’s right to know while respecting the ongoing investigation.  I think we have done a good job of this.”