Request for Proposal (RFP) for Comprehensive Municipal Planning Services
City of Dixon
121 West 2nd Street
Dixon, Illinois 61021
November 13, 2023
The City of Dixon, located in Lee County, Illinois, invites qualified and experienced planning consultants or firms to submit proposals for the development of a Comprehensive Municipal Plan. This comprehensive plan will guide the municipality's growth and development over the next 20 years.
The City of Dixon is a vibrant rural community of 15,200 located on Interstate 88, ninety (90) miles due west of Chicago, 50 miles south of Rockford, and 55 miles east of the Quad Cities. The City is anchored by a historic and vibrant downtown located directly on the Rock River. Over the past two (2) years, the City has grown by more than 600 acres and created two (2) new Tax Increment Finance Districts (TIF) with a focus on industrial, commercial, and residential growth. Over the past five (5) years, the City has won more than $25 million in grant funding to expand the pedestrian trail system, improve critical infrastructure around schools, and to create new infrastructure in the 27-acre Gateway Development. In addition to these developments, Dixon has repaved more than thirty (30) percent of her roadways and entered into several strategic partnerships with Dixon Public Schools, Dixon Park District, Lee County Industrial Development Association, Dixon Chamber of Commerce and Main Street, and Sauk Valley Community College.
Dixon’s greatest strength lies in its forward looking, collaborative, and servant-based leaders, beginning with the City Council and filtering throughout the entire organization. The City is a non-home rule municipality organized through the City Manager Form of Government. While the City’s Comprehensive Plan is more than twenty (20) years old, a clear vision with strategic goals around tourism, quality of life, public infrastructure improvements, economic development, and strong partnerships is evident across the City. The City is looking to partner with a respected firm who can customize a Comprehensive Plan to meet the specific needs of Dixon and its citizens.
III. Scope of Services:
The selected consultant or firm will be responsible for providing the following services; however the City is searching for a firm that can customize the Comprehensive Plan to meet the specific needs of the City and its residents:
- Community Engagement: Develop and implement a comprehensive public engagement strategy to involve residents, stakeholders, and community organizations in the planning process.
- Data Collection and Analysis: Collect and analyze data related to demographics, land use, transportation, infrastructure, economic development, environmental conditions, and other relevant factors.
- Vision and Goals: Work with stakeholders to establish a clear vision for the municipality's future and identify specific goals and objectives.
- Land Use and Zoning: Review and update the municipality's land use and zoning regulations to align with the comprehensive plan.
- Infrastructure and Utilities: Assess the capacity of current infrastructure and utility systems to meet future demand and identify areas of improvement to ensure that land use and development recommendations can be supported.
- Housing and Economic Development: Identify strategies to promote housing affordability and diversity, as well as initiatives for economic development.
- Transportation Planning: Create a transportation plan that includes improvements to roadways, public transportation, and pedestrian/bicycle infrastructure. Consideration should be given to address emerging trends in transportation.
- Implementation Plan: Provide a clear implementation plan with prioritized action steps and a timeline for plan execution.
IV. Proposal Submission:
Interested consultants or firms are invited to submit proposals no later than January 10, 2024 at 4:00 p.m. to:
Proposals should include the following:
- Cover Letter: A brief introduction of the proposing consultant or firm and a statement of understanding of the project's scope.
- Qualifications: A summary of the consultant or firm's relevant experience and qualifications.
- Proposed Approach: A detailed description of the proposed methodology, including a timeline and work plan and program for engagement with local stakeholders.
- References: Contact information for at least three references from previous clients.
- Cost Proposal: A detailed breakdown of fees and expenses associated with the project.
- 5 bound hard copies of the proposal and a thumb drive containing the proposal.
V. Evaluation Criteria
Proposals will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Experience and qualifications of the consultant or firm.
- Approach and methodology.
- References and past performance.
- Cost and budget.
- Capacity to meet project deadlines.
- Demonstrated understanding of local conditions and character of the community.
- Certify no conflicts of interests.
VI. Selection Process:
The City will review all submitted proposals and may conduct interviews or request additional information from shortlisted candidates. The contract award and final approval of a contract for services is subject to sole and absolute discretion of the City Council.
VII. Questions and Clarifications:
VIII. Right to Reject Proposals:
The City of Dixon reserves the right to reject any or all proposals, to waive any irregularities or informalities in the proposals received, and to select the proposal that best serves the interests of the municipality.